The Honolulu Marathon

The Honolulu Marathon is a highly prestigious race in the U.S and many people from all around the world descend on Honolulu for this momentous event. Considering the international scope of this event, the marathon is quite a unique opportunity for photographers. On Sunday, my dad and I were out at Kahala to catch the sunrise and morning light on the runners. I think we stayed for a good three hours :)

Image info: first three images were shot with Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 and D300. The rest of the images were shot with Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 and D300. Aperture priority, exposure compensation used in contrasty situations. 

I decided to lug around my tripod for the first hour, and experimented with a bunch of long exposures. This one's 2 sec @ f22.
shot about 60 frames of panning shots. This was one of only two that I actually liked.
morning light on Kilauea Ave
dozens of runners seemed to think I was an official marathon photographer with my large 80-200 lens mounted on my D300, so I got some very cool expressions :)


props to her for running in a wedding dress!! Kinda disappointed the guy didn't compliment her outfit with a suit!


KITV4 news was filming at the corner of 18th Ave and Kilauea Ave.


had to get a shot of the sign...
racing essentials
The things you do as a volunteer when you get bored.
there's something about midair water drops that fascinates me to no end...


it's all about the lighting...
one of my favorite shots of the day :)
face sponges


entertainment for the runners!
on the way back...



still got his earphones plugged in...

handing out water...
Kalani High school had a pretty large group of volunteers near the Kahala Aloha gas station, and they seemed to be having a good time helping out the runners :)


favorite image of the day, hands down.

the stragglers behind the masses...

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive

Total Page Views (Oct 2010 - present)